Sunday BBspecta-Q-lar

Today started at noon-ish for me. I woke late and stayed in my bed doing nothing because I still have yet to figure out how to get to Louisiana Museum in a timely fashion. I knew that my Kollegium was meeting with another Kollegium for dinner at five which meant that I had not enough time to go anywhere. I found that I had no problem lounging in my room until that time as I hadn’t really sat down to read or just relax like I normally would on a weekend.

Once five came around, I met in the kitchen with 5 of the 6 other study abroad students with my building (I still have some trouble keeping names straight even with as few of us there are). We headed to Bilka to shop for somethings to bring to the BBQ. We were there a little longer than we needed to be, but I was very happy when Mette allowed me to purchase a watermelon for the lovely cookout.

It turned out that our other SRA would not be joining us as he has apparently been transitioning over to another job, so he would no longer really be there. He was the only one, though, who knew where the other building was so that was kind of interesting, trying to decide which of the buildings behind the Bilka was the right place. We got there with little trouble, just a bit tired from carrying groceries (fun fact: There are no bags there. You either buy a bag to put things in, or you bring a bag with you).

The crowd at the other Kollegium was in general much younger than ours. We have one 19/20 year old and our oldest is 26. Their group was made of 18/19 year-olds and a 17 year old. They tended to stay away from our small group, which I had no personal care for either way. It was generally fun having the BBQ, but with some light rain that came in, we had to head inside.

I had a hard time, then, sitting around talking with the couple of girls in my group and one of the SRA’s in the other group. They were discussing how homesick they felt when they remembered their pets. “The good thing,” a quote from my SRA, “Is that you know they will be there waiting for you to come back every time.”

I didn’t partake in the conversation, eating my danish hotdog by sheer force of will while I tried not to think about the fact my own family dog is currently doing poorly with cancer. He probably will not be there when I get back. Even now I can’t help but turn away from my computer screen as I try not to cry over his impending death. It’s hard.

When the conversation was done, we got out of the building and waited for everyone to get ready to leave. We were going to taste Denmark’s best ice cream that they claim is the best in Europe, but I know that gelato from Italy is very delicious, so I took what they said with a grain of salt. That entire waiting period was very, how should I say… amusing.

There was one kid in the other Kollegium, and that is truly what he was, who had a ‘meat bag’. It was essentially all the left over meat from the BBQ in one small can trash bag that he wanted to save for later. The first thing he did was take it with him upstairs where his room was, but as there are open hallways with only half wire walls facing the courtyard, you could continue a conversation. He decided that he was going to throw the bag down towards the girls in his building who were waiting along with mine. It was like a bomb went off as the girls jumped away from the bag and yelled up at him. I thought the entire thing was a little strange.

Mette started walking away to try to get us to leave so we wouldn’t have to queue so long for the ice cream, but the other SRA (the male one who looked nervous at the way his students were acting) told us to wait a few minutes for the rest of his group to come back. We did and once everyone was back (at least, we thought), including meat bag boy, we began leaving again, but someone shouted that another one of the girls was still missing. We paused again and as we waited, meat bag boy and one of his friends thought it would be a fantastic idea to throw the meat bag back up to the hallway terraces. If you can guess what happens next, meat points to you.

The bag on the third or fourth throw got caught in the metal wiring of the half walls and instead of it just getting stuck, it ripped open due to the amount of meat weighing down the bag and out fell scraps and chunks of meat from the sky. The group standing the closest scattered and one of the girls tripped backwards over a large sitting stone, tearing the skin off her knee. There was momentary chaos as it fell and was being picked up by the boys. We had to wait a third time to get the injured girl some bandages for her knee.

Once everything was actually done, we got to go to the ice cream shoppe and wait for fifteen minutes out in the rain. The ice cream itself was very rich in taste, very large in scoops, and there was this topping called ‘Guf’ which is similar to the texture and sweetness of marshmallow fluff, but not in taste.

Now that I’m back at my room, I’m very, very stuffed and am about to make a post about my money expenditures for the week. Tak for reading everyone!


Author: tenelevenblog

student abroad

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s